The attractive town of Mogadouro takes its name from the Arabic word "Macaduron". Mogadouro feels remote, lost both to space and time. Although the town and surrounding region have much to offer the adventurous visitor, Mogadouro feels untouched by tourism. You might worry if they speak English here, yet chances are they might speak Mirandês, a local Vulgar Latin language lovingly preserved here. Other traditions are also maintained here. The town proudly processes a strong cultural identity.
Mogadouro's history is a rich tapestry from different epochs from as far back as the megalithic era. Finds from archaeological digs from the second half of the last century can be viewed in the small Mogadouro Archeology Museum Room. On display are hunting weapons and polished axes that originate from the 3rd Millennium BC. There are plenty of pieces from the Roman occupation, such as millstones, carpentry objects, jewellery, funerary stelae and pottery. Displays are well documented, and multi-lingual leaflets are available from reception.
Monday to Friday: from 09h00 – 18h00, Weekends: 09h30 – 13h00/14h00 – 17h30 | FREE
Paços do Concelho, 5200 Mogadouro, Portugal. | 41º 20' 25.8" N | 06º 42' 57.3" W
+351 279 340 100 | email@example.com
This 17th-century Convent was constructed in 1620 on the behest of Dom Luís Álvares de Távora and is in the Mannerist style. The adjoining church is in the form Latin cross plan with three naves, a chancel and a sacristy. The building's most striking feature is the bell tower crowned with pinnacles. The interior differs hugely from its original design due to two fires that seriously damaged the site.
59 Rua de São Francisco, 5200-244 Mogadouro, Portugal. | 41º 20' 25.9" N | 06º 42' 58.7" W
Recent excavations suggest this site was utilised by the Romans, who may have built upon an existing Iron Age settlement. The medieval castle here was built in 1145 AD following the retaking of the area by Christian forces from the Moors. The castle was donated soon after to the Knights Templar by Mendo Rufino of Bragança. Charged with the defence of the area the Templars soon made alterations and integrated Mogadouro into a line of fortresses that protected fledgeling Portugal's southern borders. Further additions and alterations took place in the 14th and 15th centuries to extend living quarters. The tower (Torre de Menagem) was added in the 17th century. With changes in Portugal's borders, political landscapes, and evolving military technology, the castle fell out of use. Over the subsequent centuries, it fell into ruin. Today the most striking feature of the original construction is the keep which still commands excellent views over the plains below. The castle became a national monument in 1946.
32 Rua João de Freitas, 5200-277 Mogadouro, Portugal. | 41º 20' 17.6" N | 06º 43' 10.5" W
Standing aloft on an escarpment 690 metres above sea level seventeen kilometres (10mi) south of the pretty village of Vimioso and nineteen kilometres (12mi) North-East of Mogadouro, this mighty fortress has stood guard over the surrounding area for centuries. Recent excavations suggest a stronghold has been located on this spot since the early Bronze age and was taken advantage of by the Romans too. The first medieval fortress built here was ordered by Afonso Henriques to watch over and guard the frontier with the Kingdom of León. In 1224 the structure was radically altered and strengthened resulting in it becoming one of the more important medieval fortifications in the eastern Trás-os-Montes.
In 1710 Algoso Castle withstood numerous attacks by Spanish troops, as part of the Seven Years War and during the Napoleonic Wars, it stood defiant against French troops. The Castle is classified as a Public Interest Building, and during the 20th century, it received a degree of restoration. | 41º 27" 36.5' N | 06º 35" 06.7' W
Explore the best the region has to offer, ancient churches (Igreja Românica de Azinhoso, Santa Maria de Azinhoso, Igreja Paroquial de Vilarinho dos Galegos and Igreja Matriz de Bemposta) incredible vistas from viewpoints (São Cristóvão and Miradouro de Picões), Roman bridges, rugged landscapes, arable land, ruined castles (Castelo de Penas Roias and Castro de Vilarinho dos Galegos) waterfalls and villages (Figueira and Penas Roias) forgotten by time:
• Trilho de São Cristovão (PR1) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho do Monópotero (PR2) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho de São Fagundo (PR3) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho da Faia da Água Alta (PR4) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho das Lendas (PR5) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho do Castro e do Contrabando (PR6) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho da Fraga do Sapato (PR7) [ Info & Map ]
• Trilho do Quartel (PR8) [ Info & Map ]
• Grande Rota do Douro International & Douro Vinhateiro (GR36) [ Info & Map ]
Hotel Trindade Coelho features a restaurant, a fitness centre, a bar and a shared lounge. With free WiFi, this three-star hotel has a garden and a terrace. Free private parking is available. The hotel also provides cycle hire for guests who want to explore the surrounding area. Guests at the hotel can enjoy a continental breakfast.
Largo Trindade Coelho 27, 5200-213 Mogadouro, Portugal.
41º 20' 28.3" N | 06º 42' 55.9" W
Book Online ►
With barbecue facilities and a terrace, Casas de Xisto is located in Mogadouro and provides free WiFi. Each unit is equipped with a fully equipped kitchen with a microwave, a fireplace, a seating area with a sofa bed, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with a bidet and a hairdryer. A fridge, an oven and a stovetop are also provided, also a kettle and a coffee machine. If you would like to discover the area, hiking, cycling and fishing are possible in the surroundings.
Salgueiro, Paradela, 5200-300 Mogadouro, Portugal.
41º 20' 05.2" N | 06º 48' 20.3" W
Book Online ►
Featuring an outdoor pool and pool views, Villa Rua Moreira is located in Mogadouro. The accommodation is 25.5 miles from Belmonte, and guests benefit from private parking available on-site and free WiFi. This villa comes with a seating area, a kitchen with a dishwasher, and a satellite TV. Villa Rua Moreira also provides a barbecue.
Rua Moreira 1 Celorico da Beira, 6360-103 Mogadouro, Portugal.
N 41º 20' 53.4" | W 06º 44' 01.5" | +351 258 808 200
Book Online ►
A Larieria means "log fireplace" and refers to how the meat is cooked here, in full view of diners. Look out for the Posta Mirandesa, a large cut of veal from calves that have grazed in the Trás-os-Montes. It is particularly tasty here and moderately priced. The service is friendly and welcoming, the atmosphere is jovial and totally unpretentious. Don't be put off by the 70's decor. The house wine here is also excellent.
Tuesday – Sunday: 12h00 - 15h00/19h00 - 22h00, Monday: CLOSED
58–62 Avenida Nossa Senhora do Caminho, Mogadouro 5200-207 Portugal.
N 41º 20' 32.0" | W 06º 42' 48.1"
+351 279 342 363
This recently renovated restaurant now looks bright and modern however it still serves great traditional fare cooked with great skill. There's a wide selection on the menu to choose from and plenty of great wines to accompany your choice.
Monday - Saturday: 12h00 - 14h30/19h00 - 21h30, Sunday: CLOSED
18 Rua da Republica 5200-220, Mogadouro 5200-233 Portugal.
41º 20' 23.9" N | 06º 43' 0.4" W
+351 934 410 940
A Tasquinha translates as a small grill house and that's exactly what this place is. The decor is stylish and the food a modern twist on regional favourites. The food is very well presented and tastes as good as it looks.
Daily: 09h00 - 23h00
34 Av. do Sabor, 5200-222 Mogadouro, Portugal.
41º 20' 37.9" N | 06º 42' 30.1" W
+351 279 342 654
Francisco de Sá Carneiro Airport Porto is 215km (135 miles) West of Mogadouro.
GET A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR FLIGHT HERE:
Two hours East of Porto, 215km (135 miles) along the A4.
GET A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR CAR HIRE HERE:
Rede Expressos run services across Portugal. Website